Monday, February 14, 2011

Alcohol in the news; the Reverand

From the Buzz

The Reverand; A questionable beer

It wasn't me, they misspelled the name of the beer in the headline.

Avery Brewing Company is a brewery based out of Boulder, Colorado. Colorado just seems to have a ton of wonderful breweries to accompany their wonderful atmosphere. Thus far I have only sampled one of their signature beers but I do intend on often frequenting their beers. The one I sampled is called The Reverend and it surely blessed my night if I do say so… which I do. Anyway, it was very flavorful with a mix of sweet malty thickness that most stout-like beers contain and bitterly smooth finish of ales. The style of beer is known as Belgian style quadruple ale. It stands above most hyper-flavored beers at 10% ABV. For $5.99 this single (22oz) beer made me feel like I was eating a meal that got me drunk, so in other words, it was worth the price. Certainly this beer can be paired with a number of foods but stick to the foods with robust and powerful flavors to not be drowned out by the beer.
In comparison to the previous article on Knob Creek, this one is... well... bad.

Wonderful was used twice in the same sentence.

This beer won the 2003 gold medal in the U.S. Beer Tasting Championship in the category of Belgian/Abbey strong ale. Not as many awards as some other beers I have sampled in the past, and to be perfectly honest this beer doesn’t deserve many awards. This might have to be one of the first negative reviews of a beer I have written but speaking from the heart, this holy beer doesn’t stand next to a majority of the beers I have drank before. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for such a robust beer but this certainly tackled my taste buds and held them down for a while. Regardless, when the bottle was empty I certainly felt the equivalent of drinking a little more than four Keystone Lights (do the math) and it surely started out my night just right. In any case, good or bad beer is great so grab a brew and knock back a few. Cheers!
There is an image with the story. The beer was drank in a shaker pint glass.

After reading the article, it's hard to determine exactly why the writer didn't like the beer. They seemed to extol the virtues of it, "The Reverend and it surely blessed my night if I do say so… which I do " but then disliked it, " this holy beer doesn’t stand next to a majority of the beers I have drank before".

Perhaps they don't like the style, perhaps the mood wasn't right... who knows. Get it, try it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment